Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Experimental Stuff WIP

A while back Heleni suggested a challenge working with a partner and adopting something about their work and using it in our own creation.  My creation was supposed to be from the wonderful backgrounds Traudi does which I hadn't really captured.

So I decided to get help and brought 2 cloth covered panels plus gouache paints, the kind that children use, to class and Traudi showed me how to achieve the various patterns... She takes a sheet of paper ,I had plain brown paper, and she squishes out the colors, usually 2 hues, and randomly prints with these colors on the canvas....

I am doing "my " thing with them... and am also using the sheets of paper as well... these are WIP...there is a lot to explore in these methods... making use of the shapes for you imagination....

 40 x 60 cm

 40 x 60 cm

Traudi uses markers and cut torn colored paper for her creations....I am using drawing tools like charcoal and oil pastels....

Here is  the work Traudi did on the challenge... she adopted my use of children in some of my paintings. 



2 comments:

Meredith Adler said...

What a cool challenge, must be an awesome class. I like what both you and your partner did. I always loved your little children paintings. I think that is what you were doing when I met you. Once in awhile, they pop up on your "You May Also Like," and I always love seeing them...

Carol Edan said...

Thanks Meredith!!! Traudi does some amazing work!!! At class I am going to work on a family portrait...!!!The proportions will be changed... parents and brother smaller and -- me-- a little girl larger!!!Also going to experiment with thinned oils directly on grey cardboard... no gesso!!!!